When the Civil War broke out, the agreement with the University of Mississippi
failed and the lens was idle.
While testing the new
lens, the white dwarf companion of the brightest star in the sky, Sirius, was
discovered and named Sirius B. It was the first
compact stellar remnant ever discovered. At this time, M. R. Foret persuaded the Chicago
Astronomical Society and the University of Chicago to build an
Hayne purchased Mr.
Clark's lens for the Chicago Astronomical Society and the University of Chicago.
He put down $1500; the total price was $18,187. Construction of the observatory building
was started, paid for by J. Y. Scammon, who named it for his deceased
wife, Mary Ann Haven Dearborn. Mrs. Dearborn was a relative of Henry
Dearborn, after whom Fort Dearborn was named.