|Tenure-line Faculty Position in Astronomy and Astrophysics, Northwestern University|
Department of Physics and Astronomy
Center for Interdisciplinary Exploration and Research in Astrophysics
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3112, USA
|Online Submissions: https://facultysearch.weinberg.northwestern.edu/apply/index/MTk2
The Department of Physics and Astronomy at Northwestern University invites applications for a new full time faculty position in astronomy and astrophysics, as part of a major expansion in this area over the coming years. We seek outstanding individuals who will complement and expand the current activities of the department in astronomy and astrophysics (www.physics.northwestern.edu) and who will become active members of CIERA, Northwestern's Center for Interdisciplinary Exploration and Research in Astrophysics (www.ciera.northwestern.edu). Candidates from all areas of observational and theoretical astrophysics are encouraged to apply. We are particularly interested in attracting astronomers with connections to major upcoming and current observational projects such as ALMA, JWST, LIGO, and LSST, and in potential interdisciplinary joint hires with planetary science, computer science, applied mathematics, statistics, and engineering. Applicants should have a strong record of achievement in astrophysics research and a commitment to excellence in undergraduate and graduate education in physics and astronomy. Appointment at the tenure-track Assistant Professor level is the target of this search. The starting date for this position is September 1, 2017.
Interested applicants should send their curriculum vitae, list of publications, and research statement, and should arrange for three reference letters to be sent in support of their application. The deadline for submission of all materials is November 1st, 2016. All materials should be submitted electronically; see the submission instructions below. For questions about the application process, please contact Gretchen Oehlschlager at CIERA@northwestern.edu.
The Department of Physics and Astronomy has a strong commitment to the achievement of excellence through diversity among its faculty and staff. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please read ALL instructions and make all preparations before proceeding to application page. If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
1. Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
2. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be "saved as" or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
3. Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., Interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
4. Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
5. When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by November 1, 2016 will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a week after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.Online Submissions: https://facultysearch.weinberg.northwestern.edu/apply/index/MTk2