CIERA REACHes Out to Chicago Schools (CROCS) is a free CIERA-led program designed for Chicago-area high school teachers to bring space scientists into their classroom for a day. CIERA members will chat about their research, their educational journey, showcase demonstrations or activities, and answer students’ astronomy and career questions.
Teachers enrolled in this program will get a choice of classroom visit styles, each with an open Q&A session and brief introduction to CIERA’s summer program, REACH. The different styles are:
- Guest Lecturer:
- Have a CIERA astronomer come to your classroom and present their current research or a topic your class is interested in related to astronomy.
- Astronomy Activity:
- Have a CIERA astronomer lead a hands-on activity from one of our pre-planned activities.
- Day in the Life & Careers:
- Have a CIERA astronomer give insight on careers in astronomy and day-to-day experiences.
- Something new:
- Have an idea that is not listed above? Contact us and we’ll see what we can do together!
The goal of this program is to supply local high school students with access to Northwestern space scientists. We offer a variety of topics to teachers to choose from such as Exoplanets, Cosmology & the Origins of the Universe, The Physics of Light with Spectra, and more.
We highly encourage underrepresented and disadvantaged classroom teachers to apply.
Click here to fill out the signup form.